Become a volunteer! Volunteers are essential to OLLI’s mission and success. By helping behind-the-scenes, they are also the key to establishing OLLI’s positive reputation with our membership and the communities we serve. Our volunteers find the experience of working with our knowledgeable instructors and dedicated staff members to be a valuable and rewarding experience. In addition, OLLI volunteers often have private access to the goings-on at OLLI and are among the very first to learn about future presentations, courses, events, and travel opportunities.
OLLI has a wide-range of opportunities for interested volunteers. If you’re interested in contributing your time and expertise, see which of these possibilities best suits you:
- Class Assistant – As a class assistant you’ll serve as a vital liaison between OLLI, class participants, and the instructor. Greet members, check attendance, distribute handouts and evaluations, help setup for presentations, and generally assist the instructor in preparing for class. Training will be offered for this position during Class Assistant Orientation Sessions in Charlottesville and the Valley prior to the start of each seession. We will notify all class assistants of each session’s orientation dates and times, but those can also be found in our current catalog or on our online calendar.
- Join the Tech Team – If you like computers and electronics and are knowledgeable in this field or are interested in learning more about them, OLLI and our instructors are always in need of extra support with Audio-Visual equipment. We generally use just a few software programs (mostly PowerPoint) on laptops connected to data projectors. However, we also use DVD/CD players, slide projectors, PA systems, and even overhead projectors, on occasion. Training and support are available. If you are inexperienced with Audio-Visual Equipment but interested and willing to learn, please let us know you’re interested, and we will happily teach you everything you’ll need to know! Contact Ian Bentham, OLLI’s Technology & Project Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- OLLI Outings – Our Outings committee is actively looking for people with creative ideas to plan new one-day excursions for our members. OLLI Outings are fun, educational opportunities to socialize with other people interested in day trips and lifelong learning. If you have ideas and would like help us plan these trips for our members, please contact email@example.com.!
- Writers – Our publications team needs writers and researchers for our member publications. Publication team volunteers do extensive writing, editing, and information gathering prior to getting our course catalog published each Summer and Fall. We also publish a biannual newsletter each Spring and Fall which features short articles about OLLI members and events. If you’re interested in contributing to either of these projects, please contact OLLIian@virginia.edu.
- Hospitality Committee – Assist with special events including A Taste of OLLI, member receptions, and other OLLI social functions.
- Office support – To help keep OLLI at UVa a lean and cost-efficient organization, we rely on volunteers for administrative support. Typical duties include: greeting visitors at the front desk, answering the phone, copying instructor handouts for class participants, calling members when needed, data entry, filing paperwork, helping with mailings, preparing for catalog distribution, organizing class materials for instructors and class assistants, and many other project related duties. You can volunteer on a regular schedule or serve as an “on-call” volunteer to help out with major projects. If you’re interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Join Our Faculty – All OLLI at UVa courses are taught by volunteers. Many are retired professors, but some are self-taught experts passionate about their subject matter. The program committee is always looking for creative, dedicated instructors to teach new courses and expand on the breadth of topics offered by OLLI. More information about joining OLLI’s talented team of instructors can be found by clicking on this link.
We hope you will contribute your time and efforts by volunteering for OLLI. Volunteers are essential to OLLI’s success, and as we continue to expand our program offerings, we need more and more help. If you are interested, feel free to stop by the OLLI offices at 1160 Pepsi Place, Suite 114, call the OLLI office at 434-923-3600, or contact Beth Barber at email@example.com.