- click the pdf above to download the file or view various links available for self-education. Please share with loved ones.
Resources – Recorded Presentations
History, Racial and Ethnic Programs
- “The Great Influenza of 1918” given by Dr. Donald Johnson hosted by OLLI at UVA in collaboration with the Charlottesville History Club
- “The Racial and Ethnic History of Charlottesville” given by Charlene Green at the Jefferson School’s African American Heritage Center in Charlottesville, VA
- “Inventing the Nonsmoker: The Unheralded Activists in the History of the Cigarette” with Sarah Milov, OLLI at UVA in collaboration with the Charlottesville History Club
- “Memorial to Enslaved Laborers at the University of Virginia” with Dr. Shelley Viola Murphy
- “How the Civil War Generation Wanted Us to Remember The Civil War” with Dr. Caroline Janney hosted by OLLI at UVA in collaboration with the Charlottesville History Club
- “The Lyncher in the Family” with Dr. Grace Hale hosted by OLLI at UVA in collaboration with the Charlottesville History Club
- “Was Reconstruction a Lost Moment” with UVA Professor Gary Gallagher hosted by OLLI at UVA in collaboration with the Charlottesville History Club.
- “Patrick Henry vs. Thomas Jefferson” with John A. Ragosta hosted by OLLI at UVA
- “2020 Elections: Ten Days and Counting” with Mike Gilliland hosted by OLLI at UVA
- “The Origins of Political Parties in America” with Dr. David Houpt hosted by OLLI at UVA
Health and Well-being Programs
- “Gentle Chair Yoga” with OLLI at UVA Executive Director, Leslie Pont, E-RYT 200
- “Developing a Compassion Practice: Guided Exercise” with OLLI at UVA Executive Director, Leslie Pont, NBC-HWC
- “McIntire Botanical Garden: A New Name and More News” with Jill Trischman-Marks hosted by OLLI at UVA
OLLI’s eNewsletter: The Insider
- The Insider excerpts include links to 15 articles as examples of the information staff shares with our members every 1-2 weeks. Learn about our upcoming events, senior classes to sign up for, member spotlights, community benefits and more
- Join the OLLI eNewsletter
University of Virginia Resources
- Alderman Library – serves advanced undergraduates, graduate students, and faculty in the humanities and social sciences at the University of Virginia.
- The Miller Center of Public Affairs at the University of Virginia – a national nonpartisan center to research, reflect, and report on American government.
- Virginia Humanities – Many interesting activities including the very popular Virginia Festival of the Book
- Lifetime Learning – for UVa alumni, parents, and friends.
Charlottesville Area Resources
- Piedmont Virginia Community College – offers a number of non-credit enrichment courses, some of which may be taken online.
- The Center at Belvedere – help you stay healthy and connected in whatever way works best for you.
- JABA (Jefferson Area Board of Aging) is a non-profit agency on aging serving seniors, caregivers, and their families in Central Virginia.
- R. R. Smith Center for History and Art – Staunton, VA
- CATEC (Charlottesville-Albemarle Technical Education Center) – Computer training and some online courses.
- Open Doors – A publication by Albemarle County Public Schools Community Education Office.